7 Tips to Creating the Ideal Instagram Caption
Coming up with good Instagram captions can be challenging.
Should your Instagram caption be funny? serious? inspirational?
Should you use emojis and hashtags?
And what about your call-to-action?
The fact is, if you want to be successful on your Instagram account, you can’t let your Instagram captions become an afterthought. To help you create Instagram captions that are as captivating as your images, here’s six tips to help you write captivating captions and content.
1. Writing good Instagram captions may not be as important as your Instagram feed, but they still play a critical role, and not just in terms of building a community around your company or brand. Writing good Instagram captions is important because it could be the key to having your post seen by more people. When your post receives a good number of likes, comments, and shares, this signals to Instagram that
its high-quality content that other users might want to see too. The algorithm will bump the post up on peoples’ feeds and might even be featured on Instagram’s Explore Page, which would generate even more traffic, engagement and follows to your account.
2. A captivating Instagram caption is one that provides context, adds personality, and inspires your followers to take action. Good Instagram captions come in all shapes and sizes, from short and sweet to longer, in-depth stories (Instagram captions can be as long as 2200 characters). Generally, the golden rule is: if your audience finds it engaging you’re most likely nailing your captions.
3. The best way to approach captions is, whatever your goal, you need to approach your Instagram captions from the perspective of adding value. As in, how are you adding value for your audience, how are you adding value to your post, and how are you adding value for your brand? One of the biggest reasons people have trouble writing Instagram captions is because they try to do it on the fly. We would suggest scheduling your posts in advance and then taking tweaking if necessary. This will save you time and help be more creative. Download an Instagram scheduler on your phone to help you out.
4. The simple act of including a call-to-action in your Instagram caption and inviting your audience to comment or engage can go a very long way it when it comes to driving more engagement on your posts. Of course, you don’t have to include a call-to-action in every Instagram caption. But a good CTA is a great way to inspire your followers to engage with your business both inside and outside of Instagram. For example, you could ask your followers to take action by clicking the link your bio, buying a product, answering a question or tagging a friend. It will instantly help with engagement and drive new and old audiences to interact with your brand.
5. Aside from the obvious tips on using proper grammar and spelling, one of the most important parts of any good Instagram caption is brand voice. Ultimately, what it comes down to is consistency. Your Instagram captions should sound and feel like the rest of your company’s social media channels. If you’re just starting with Instagram and looking to develop a new brand voice, one of your best resources is other Instagram accounts. Compile a list of your favorite Instagram accounts and see if any brand voice stands out to you. Once you find a few voices you like, combine them to create your own brand voice that resonates with your audience, and be consistent.
6. When you aren’t using emojis to draw attention to your call-to-action, you can use emojis to add personality to your Instagram captions. You can insert multiple emoji at the beginning of your caption to catch the eye of your followers with a bit of color, so they want to click to read more, or you can replace whole words with an emoji. Even if you just add an emoji at the end of your Instagram caption, it will make your caption more inviting to your followers. Everyone loves an emoji!
7. Using hashtags in Instagram caption isn’t mandatory, but it definitely helps. Not only can hashtags help you gain more Instagram followers, but they’re a great way to connect with customers, find content created about you by your followers, and build long-term relationships with influential partners. When adding hashtags to your Instagram caption, don’t limit yourself to keeping them at the end. Integrating hashtags throughout your post adds dimension to your caption, and since hashtags are a different color on Instagram, the right hashtag can also highlight and contextualize your content.